Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Stream of consciousness

An usher stopped me last night at the Grizzlies game and said, "Chris, you are right, I have been here for 4 years, and this year is boring basketball, these crowds are dead."

It is my mantra that the Grizzlies and many teams are overcoached. This is never more evident than last night when the Grizzlies played the Houston Rockets. It is 100% totally absurd that Jeff Van Gundy throws the clamps on a team that has a roster built to run. Rafer Alston (he is only good in open court game), Stromile Swift (half-court basketball renders him useless), David Wesley (great pure shooter who could get a ton of 3's in transition), and I could go right down the roster.

Even more puzzling is the fact that you have Yao and McGrady, two young guys in their prime, and they walk up the court to play in a game where they have twice the amount of contested shots as opposed to if they were running. The Rockets have been hobbled by injury, but this is how they do it with a full compliment of players also, and I will never understand.

On a side note.... A report came out today that Yao is not even the first or second highest selling jersey in China. 1. McGrady 2. Iverson 3. Yao

The Tigers are getting better, I think, but it hurts that we have to wait until March 2nd to see them play anyone but Popsicle State.

Everyone keeps telling me that the signal is better.

How can I get excited about this Super Bowl? The commercials? No story lines and no real big time stars. The only story to me is Big Ben possibly winning in his second year. Other than that, this is blah.

My buddy is in the Dominican and he sent me a text message yesterday saying that Bartolo Colon was in the airport throwing out money while kids were diving on the ground to pick it up. He said it was like Dominican Santa was in town. I wish I could throw money on the ground.

In the Ipod rotation...

Artic Monkeys (Whatever people say I am, that is what I'm not) ... I downloaded it because it is the #1 record in the UK. Diggin it.

Ingram Hill (Junes Picture Show)... Memphis band, Memphis alum and lead singer Justin on the show Friday.

Lucero (Tennessee) ... another Memphis band, I love this album, their first one.

Respect.

Verno