Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Why I love message boards (DOWN WITH SCHNUCKS!!!!)

I like to scan message boards to see what the fans of teams are talking about. I understand that there are a lot of media members that would never acknowledge that they regularly check them. We live in a new age where rabid fans are always collecting new information from various places about their favorite team, and a message board regularly provides an easy place for it all to collect. Fans keep up with info on their favorite team more than any media member possibly could. If someone is not aware of message boards and the valuable resource they can provide, they are behind the times. Media members read message boards. They know the exact address. They know what people say. If they claim they don't, they are lying and their ego has made them unable to admit it.

With all of that being said, message boards can be littered with people that are absolutely insane. That is the part I love. I was reading the Tigers message board (memphistigers.org) this morning and ran across a thread that was called "Down with Schnucks!" The premise was that Tiger fans should be outraged that there is an orange Fanta display in the shape of UT. What follows is people saying that they will no longer shop at Schnucks, they will voice their displeasure, and other fans should call and email to voice their displeasure. What ensues is absolute hilarity to any sane person. Let me say that this type of thing is not exclusive to the memphis message board, it just happened to be the one I was reading this morning.

I love the Tigers, and I would also propose that Schnucks get rid of all carrots, orange peppers, ole el paso taco seasoning packages, basketballs, and orange juice. Why is blue juice not as prominently displayed?

This was my favorite quote in the thread... "That is exactly what needs to be done, in a polite, but firm manner. This is MEMPHIS, not Knoxville, and such disrespect is both outrageous and intolerable."
Remember, this is regarding an orange Fanta display. Those are some pretty strong words. If I worked at the store and someone came up to me and told me that the stupid Fanta UT display that we had was disrespectful, outrageous, and intolerable... I would probably pee on myself with laughter.

Boycotting a store because there is display for another school? I saw that Rocky Top News was being carried at Kroger and Tiger fans should boycott them too. Outrage! Where should I shop? There is only one Piggly Wiggly in town and it's gutter.
Here is the thread for your entertainment. DOWN WITH SCHNUCKS!!!!!! Message boards are the best.