Saturday, December 15, 2007

Thank you Andy Pettitte

I would never condone what baseball players did when they took PED's, but just being honest about it goes a long way nowadays. I understand why a player would do it, everyone understands why a player would do it. I appreciate that Pettitte didn't try to insult our intelligence like so many other players have. Now does Clemen's come clean also? Here is what Pettitte said about the accusations...

"If what I did was an error in judgment on my part, I apologize," Pettitte said Saturday in a statement released by his agent. "I accept responsibility for those two days."

"In 2002 I was injured. I had heard that human growth hormone could promote faster healing for my elbow," Pettitte said in the statement released to The Associated Press by agent Randy Hendricks.
"I felt an obligation to get back to my team as soon as possible. For this reason, and only this reason, for two days I tried human growth hormone. Though it was not against baseball rules, I was not comfortable with what I was doing, so I stopped.
"This is it -- two days out of my life; two days out of my entire career, when I was injured and on the disabled list," he said. "I wasn't looking for an edge. I was looking to heal."

Makes sense to me. Every other player should react with the same honesty that Pettitte has. His explanation makes sense and we live in a forgiving nation. People can take cheaters, what they can't take is the obvious lying about cheating.