Sunday, February 17, 2008

Glad I went to that one...

I guess I got more than I bargained for at the Memphis/ UAB game. The environment was unbelievable, the comeback was crazy, and the post-game near riot was something I had never seen before.

I will obviously talk about this on the show on Monday, but here are a couple of quick thoughts....


- heck of a photo by Mark Weber of the CA, the misspelling of Memphis is hysterical


- there were not many Memphis media members there. There was the radio team, Fox had a few guys down there, Wolken from the CA, and me. I think that was it.

- the trip is way easier since they opened up the highways that take you to Bham.

- Robert Vaden is absolutely awesome. He lived up to expectations.
Terrible last shot, but other than that, the kid proved he is a player. He will be a pro.

- I have no idea how Douglas-Roberts hits the shots he hits. He was spectacular.

- Antonio Anderson played the best game I have ever seen him play. He was having to chase Vaden around on one end, and dropping off shots on the other end. He was better last night than he was in the Cincy game a few years back.

- UAB had an incredible game plan and executed it about as well as they could have. Memphis players were looking for calls and getting frustrated. They always had a body on a body on the defensive glass. Memphis kills teams on the boards and with second chance points typically. They took Dorsey completely out of the game by bullying the bully.

- I will talk at length about the aftermath of the game on the show, but quickly... I was taken out of my media seat under the goal so that the fans could rush the court, and so I was actually on the court in the corner at the end of the game. Upon winning the game Pierre Niles was right in front of me getting in peoples faces and just being completely ridiculous. I know what it looks like when a guy is looking for trouble, and there was about to be a riot on the court right in front of me with some UAB football players because Pierre is out there poppin his jersey, cussin, and bowin' up on anyone around (nevermind that he was on the end of the bench the whole game). When you see the team coming to that end of the court on the video, it is because Pierre is out there jawing at everyone. The UAB fans were completely out of line for throwing crap at the team, but the team should have gone to the locker room. If you are gonna yell at fans, and pop your jersey, and get in faces as you are walking to the tunnel good things will typically not come from that. You have nothing to gain by being in the tunnel arguing with a fan, and you might get hurt in the process. You gotta just keep on walking. I will bet anything Coach Cal is telling them the same thing. You gotta just keep on walking.