Thursday, March 17, 2011

The trip to Tulsa

Early this morning I picked up Roser and we headed to Tulsa for the Tigers game in the NCAA Tournament.  We left at about 6:15 a.m. and arrived in Tulsa right before the Memphis open practice at 12:40 p.m..  If I recall correctly we got on 40 west, drove forever, got off at some exit, drove a little more, and then we were in Tulsa.  It was a really easy trip.

We only stopped twice and one of the stops was in the great town of Sallisaw, Oklahoma.  We stopped there because we needed to stop for gas and because I saw a billboard that said "INDIAN STORE - NEXT RIGHT".  First we stopped at the gas station to fill up and grab a drink.  We went inside and encountered one of the most hilarious convenient stores ever.  The old lady working at the counter had a near death coughing spell that sounded like it could only come from a person that had smoked 300 cigarettes a day for the last 45 years.  She didn't die, but she did bring me to the edge of vomiting.  I can honestly say I have never seen a gas station with a sign that says "Jean Shorts on SALE", but I have now.  Here they are...

We left the gas station and headed across the street to The Indian Store...

This was kind of a letdown.  It just didn't feel very authentic to me.  I wanted real Indian swag and it was drums, teddy bears with head dresses, some bead stuff, and some t-shirts with wolves on them.  I wanted to buy a spear or something like that.  No dice.

We got to Tulsa in time for the Memphis open practice where we saw several Memphis media members, along with Pat Forde, Craig Sager, and some others.  Memphis looked really loose and confident to me.  Who knows if it will mean anything but they seemed like they were having fun and hardly overwhelmed.  Joe Jackson was hitting everything when I was watching him shoot.   I thought the arena, The BOK Center, was awesome.  Very impressive considering there is not an NBA team that plays there.  The practice...


A huge thank you to Lexus of Memphis for hooking us up with a new RX 450 Hybrid to drive down to Tulsa.  It is insanely comfortable, it has every bell and whistle imaginable, and rides as smoothly as any car I have ever been in.  I fully endorse this vehicle.  I learned the hard way that with a car so nice it is extremely easy to lose track of how fast you are going (the blue lights in Arkansas reminded me though).  83 in a 70.  The trooper was nice to us, but still gave me the ticket.  This is the car, go buy one...