Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The most important wrestling moment of my youth

When the "Macho Man" Randy Savage died last week we talked a lot about wrestling, and how much these guys meant to my childhood.  There is one moment from my youth that stands out more than any other.  Andre The Giant had made an appearance on Piper's Pit with Bobby The Brain and challenged Hulk Hogan (and ripped off his shirt and chain).  That was a memorable moment, but paled in comparison to the day they met with the President, Jack Tunney, and signed the contract.  I still cannot fathom this level of betrayal...

I don't think that I've ever been more inspired in my life. It still gets me every time.
"You tore the heart and soul out of all the little Hulksters!"
"We're gonna get your attention, man!"
"You speak to me in English when you talk to me!!!"
"It's signed in blood!!!!!"

Makes me wanna run through a brick wall to this day. Nothing mattered more to me than this, nothing.