Thursday, August 07, 2008

The audio from the Thursday show

Memphis Tiger beat writer Dan Wolken had taken exception to some of the things that I said about the homerism in Memphis. Dan was invited to come on the show and we talked about the comments that I had made. It was quite evident from the response I have gotten that all different types of people viewed our discussion all different ways. The only one that bothers me is the idea that I hate Memphis or want more negative coverage of Memphis. There is no question that some took my comments in that way. Again, when this all began, my point was never that there needed to be more negative coverage, but rather that there is a reason that negatives about a home team are written more often by an outsider (this is not exclusive to Memphis either). I have no problem with a home team slant, my problem is with those that try to deny it exists. The home team slant is prevalent in nearly every city across the nation, so let's just not act as if it cannot be a neccessary evil of being a local reporter. Dan took exception to that assumption. I gave examples of things that I thought were slanted or ignored, and Dan responded. Who knows what was accomplished, but maybe, at worst, it was compelling radio. Here is the audio if you missed it...