Friday, July 06, 2007

Needing your help, make a difference (Please read this)

Friend of the show Wright Thompson from espn.com sent me the following email this morning. Wright had written an article in ESPN the Magazine about this soldier when he was coaching his kids little league team at Ft. Hood. This guy is a bonafide war hero and his crew needs our help. He lists all of the different things that you could send, and I know that all of have things that can be sent. Here is your chance. I am putting a box together this weekend, and I am asking you to do the same if you can. We can make a big difference in the lives of the men that fight for us. The email from the soldier is below (please take the time to read it and consider the request). Thank you for taking the time. Wright Thompson will be on today at 3:20 to talk about the story of this guy and the request for help.

From: john.n.davis@us.army.mil < john.n.davis@us.army.mil>

To all...
As you all know, I am serving in Afghanistan as a Brigade Staff junky...LOL. I have taken the responsibility of building an MWR facility for all our Soldiers, young and old (like me!)

Yesterday I walked into what the KBR folks called an MWR (morale, welfare, and recreation) tent. It was in a sad state. A bare wooden floor with a half dozen metal foldout chairs and a large screen TV. (that was the only nice thing in there) It also had a broken ping pong table and hundreds of novels printed in the 60's and 70's...our young soldiers just can't stop reading them...LOL!!! It also had a popcorn popper that apparently hasn't worked in over a year, according to the outgoing unit.

I am writting to you all in an effort that some of you may know of businesses or individuals that may be willing to donate to the 173rd Airborne Brigade Combat Team's MWR. The list of what I could use is endless. Fans, books, magazines, game systems (XBox, XBox 360, Playstations, etc), games, board games, Movie DVDs, DVD player, music CDs, footballs, basketballs, baseballs, gloves, bats, volleyballs...BASICALLY ANYTHING THAT CAN LIFT THE MORALE OF OUR SOLDIERS. As you can see, my list of needs is endless. If there is anyone out there willing, please let me know and I will send you our unit address.

As an appreciation for donations I will insure that the individual or company will receive a Brigade Certificate of Appreciation signed by our Brigade Commander. I know its not much, but its all about the soldiers risking their lives everyday.
I sent this to everyone once already but I forgot to include the address....

Davis, John HHC
173d ABCT (JAF)
TF Bayonet
APO AE 09354

...if you could pass this along to everyone you know that would be great!! Thank you for your support.

sincerely,SFC John Davis